Thursday, October 02, 2008

"...Not that there is anything wrong with standing for something, no, quite the contrary. The problem seems to be - however - what we are standing on."


None of us profess to know everything there is to know. In fact, of late, I've begun to suspect that I know less than I ever thought I did. I am only now learning things I never knew I never knew. And that's not double speak.

But there are two things I know...two commandments I am sure I can follow, without going wrong.

1. Love the lord my God with all my heart.

2. Love my neighbour as myself.

Wow, doesn't sound that complicated, eh? And we all know that there's nothing wrong with learning and knowing "more" than that, right? Here's the catch...the more we learn, for some reason, the easier it seems to be...to forget these first two principles.

We say, "oh, the Puritans believed..." or "look at what Augustine believed..."

Good stuff, huh? But have we forgotten the foundation of what WE believe?

Christ and his love FIRST, and then let's add the rest of it on top.

It took me a long time to see this. I built and built on my knowledge, until I realised that my foundation was bad.

C.S. Lewis once said that there is no problem or embarrassment in going back, along the way we've come...to a fork in the road, where we made the wrong turn. Why? Because it doesn't matter how far you've gone, if it's down the wrong path...you'll never get where you need to. Maybe, especially for me, it's time to turn around, go back to the beginning, and re-evaluate...time to say, "aha! This is what it's all about."

3 comments:

Puritan Dilemma said...

You can't begin to know how this blog caught my attention. I remember the story of Bunyan's pilgrim, Christian. Once he went down the wrong path, and HAD to return the way he came, because there was no other way to the right path. As long and difficult as it was, he took it, because he knew it was the only way. Thanks...I have been refreshed...

Joshua James said...

Great point, we cannot allow the simplicity in Christ to become buried under all our theological terms and learnings, no matter how important they are. This post caused me to reevaluate my faith, thanks!

Puritan Dilemma said...

How many times must a hungry soul come back to the well, only to find it dry???? When will we hear from you again...please...put your pen to the paper and give us more...thanks!