Wednesday, August 16, 2006



A Journey In Grace
How His Eye Infused That Ray...

I don't usually write personal articles, i.e., ones that deal with my life...my experiences, but we'll make an exception.

I am the child of a Minister.
Reformed...Orthodox...Protestant.
You might imagine that I understood the Doctrines of Grace before I knew my multiplication tables...not so.

How exactly does one know the moment of one's conversion?
I remember understanding as a child...or at least, knowing that Christ's death was real, and that it was the payment for my sin...But it was until some time later that I realised what that truly meant; the ultimate effect of that transaction. I still am not able to pinpoint the "moment" of my conversion, however...
Several years ago, my Family had just been exposed to Reformed Theology; we still had not seen its beauty, not yet tasted the succulent nectar in the centre of the Tulip...(pardon my obvious comparison)
I remember reading Richard P. Belcher, A Journey In Grace, & when I got to the part about John Newton's Amazing Grace, I sat upright and sort-of looked at it twice.
I had never before viewed the words like I did then...I once was lost, but now am found.
In a way (don't go legal on me), it was like a second conversion. A reformation, if you will. I knew the doctrine of Efficacious Grace, but I finally realised the doctrine of Grace as we know it in the Reformed sense.
As I read the words, I knew nothing of hyper, really nothing of Calvin, nothing of supralapsarianism...
I knew nothing, save Christ. This is the ideal which the Reformation embodied...
Solus Christos.

No comments: